Wednesday, September 20, 2006

What Do You Mean She Doesn't Work There?

So anyways, I did two callback interviews today.

What's a callback interview, you say? Well, after conducting an initial screening interview with a candidate, law firms will "call back" a candidate for a second interview to determine whether they wish to offer said candidate a position. It's a "call back" interview, get it?

Stop me if I'm going too fast...

Anyways, there's a lot of "courteous" formalities that are supposed to occur in the callback interview process. One such formality is the sending of thank you's. Within 24 hours of a callback, you are supposed to send an email to the head of the recruiting team with whom you met (the average callback consists of four or five half-hour interviews with different individuals at the firm), thanking them and their team and the firm for their "time" and telling them that you are still interested in the firm.

So, like I said, I scheduled two today, for a total of five hours worth of interviewing. And, you know, I thought I did really well--the last interviewer with whom I spoke expressed surprise that I was so energetic after having been at his office for two hours. When I explained that he was actually the ninth person who I'd interviewed with that day, his jaw dropped through the floor. He said I must be "high-energy." I thought I was. Like I said, I though I had done really, really well.

Yeah. Well...I sent a thank you note email to firm #1 just a few minutes ago. Here's what it looked like (notice the cool, lawyerly redactions):

XXXX XXXXX
Regional Director of Legal Recruiting
XXXXXX
XXX XX Avenue
New York, NY 1XXX

Dear Ms. XXXX,

Thank you so much for arranging my visit with XXXX today. I greatly appreciated the opportunity to meet with you and other members of your firm.

Please extend my thanks to your colleagues, XXXXXXXXXXXXXX, for taking the time to meet with me, and also to YYYYYYYYY for helping arrange my visit. I particularly enjoyed speaking with members from both the litigation and corporate groups, and I appreciate you accommodating my request in this regard.

I am still very much interested in pursuing a summer position with your firm. Should you or any of your team members require any additional information to assist you as you consider my candidacy, please do not hesitate to contact me at ##### or via email at XXXXX@XXXXX.


Thank you once again, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Okay. Here's what I didn't do really, really well:
#1 -- See where it says "Ms." at the top of the email? Yeah, well, the person I sent the email to was a man. I shit you not. I can't believe I fucked that one up.
#2 -- See that second redacted name, the one that is redacted with "Y's"? Yeah, well, that person doesn't work there. Not at all. She works at the second firm with which I interviewed, but not the first one.

So I fucked up royally. Not that I will ever be in a position to be scheduling two interviews in the same day again, but if I am, then I won't. That's one thing I've learned today.

Pfft.

3 Comments:

Blogger super des said...

You should really stop drinking.

6:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did something similar last year. I sent an email to Firm X requesting an interview. Only problem, I named Firm Y in my letter. The recruiter at Firm X was really pissy. She advised me she thought Firm Y was a nice place, gave me the correct contact info for Firm Y, advised that she is familiar with the recruiting comittee, and advised the best way to contact Firm Y is to just write them directly.

11:57:00 AM  
Blogger Radio said...

That was nice of them.

5:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home